pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.14.0 article viewing

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.14.0 article viewing
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 05:24:12 -0700

On Sun 11 May 2003 05:47, gaw zay posted as excerpted below:
> On Sun, 11 May 2003, Duncan wrote:
> > I did notice he was posting from AOL.  Does it happen on other posts of
> > his, or other AOL posters?  I'm not sure how absolutely compliant their
> > proprietary news interface may or may not be.
>
> It's 100% incompatable, he must have an external server. (Unless AOL has
> changed since I tried to set up a news client on a friends machine last
> year)

From what I've read (having no personal experience with AOL at all, altho I
was a CompuServie back when they first offered $8.95/mo flat fee access, b4
AOL grabbed it and CS decided against it and AOL eventually bought out CS..

Oh, this isn't supposed to be a commentary on that... right..  As I was
saying.. <g>

Their customer side interface is indeed 100% incompatible, AFAIK, but what I
was meaning was I don't know how compatible the back-end bridge is that
converts between that and standard news protocol feed, to propagate AOL posts
to the rest of the net.  Does it convert in a 100% standards and practices
compliant fashion, or are there possible bugs, one of which causes that
behavior in PAN?

However, I didn't think it likely then, and it seems messages from other than
AOL are causing the problem now, according to Kevin's latest post, so the AOL
and standards debate now seems to have little practical merit, at least in
the context of this list.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin