pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] "Automatic" unsubscription (bug?)

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:51:27 -0500

> Perhaps something like the IE cache thing may be useful.  MS split the cache
> into several subdirs, altho it all showed up as a single virtual folder, due
> to the magic of system folders in Explorer.  The main cache dir simply had an
> index file and four initial data subdirs, with the data round-robin-ed (I
> think) between them.

I was guessing that entries were put into those dirs according to some sort
of hash algorithm. much the same way that squid puts cached files into a
tree of hash subdirectories. (which can be very fast).

I think the reason the one guy working in his spare time did better than all
the microsquish programmers was because:
a. he was the guy who happened to have a good idea; instead of whatever
flunky/intern was put on the project.
b. he didn't have a manager or PHB to stop him from doing a good job. :)
(I'm sure you can all think of ways that managers inhibit productivity and
good design).

Carl.
--
Systems Administrator