pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: hyperlinks...

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: hyperlinks...
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:15:12 -0700

John Aldrich posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:14:06 -0400:

> On Friday 12 September 2003 07:38 am, Mark Derricutt wrote:
>> --On Friday, September 12, 2003 07:07:02 -0400 John Aldrich
>>
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > I'm using KDE and RH 9 here. No similar behavior here. I'd have to say
>> > it's  something on your local system.
>> >    John
>>
>> It happens on three RH9 machines which I've upgraded to Gnome 2.4, so my
>> guess is some recent Gtk upgrade is at the cause...
>>
> That would be my guess as well, since that seems to be the common thread
> between your experience and mine. :-)

Well, if so it appears to be on RH only, since I'm running Mandrake 9.2
cooker now with Gnome 2.4 installed, and don't see the problem.

Of course, it may be because I run KDE as my environment, not Gnome,
normally, but I don't see how that would cause the issue.  I do have Gnome
2.4 installed tho and was running it earlier 2day, just to see what was
new.  I still didn't see a way to change individual colors, other than
changing the entire theme or editing the config files directly, however,
one of the reasons I chose KDE as my desktop environment in the first
place.  As a power user, that's something I ALWAYS change, especially when
most themes tend to be far to boring for my tastes, and those that aren't
just don't match the power of my own customizations.  I did finally figure
out enough of the themes to get PAN looking decent, but any desktop
without a per element color config remains alpha quality IMO, no matter
HOW many releases it has had.  That's just a customization I require to be
comfortable, period.  It seems Gnome in general tends to limit user
customization, at least in the GUI, unfortunately, by policy, while
hard as it may be for a power user like myself to believe, KDE
actually gets marked down for TO MUCH available customization, by some
reviewers (like Eugenia from OSNews I believe it is).  .. But all this has
little to do with PAN, I guess, just GOTTA let off a bit of disappointment
that Gnome **STILL** doesn't have what I consider a very BASIC feature, is
all.  <sigh> .. Maybe it's there and I just didn't see it.. or Mdk doesn't
have it in their normal Gnome package..

Benjamin Franklin