pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: semi-OT GTK (Re: Re: Install of Pan on Windows)

From: K. Haley
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: semi-OT GTK (Re: Re: Install of Pan on Windows)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:31:09 -0700

Duncan wrote:

Ken Stanley posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:39:06 -0500:

Just an idea... and the devs can correct me if I'm wrong, but in Win32,
doesn't the DLL search path start with the current working directory of
the application? If this is the case, couldn't any user in essence dump
any version of GTK DLL's in the Pan folder and it use that, instead of
system wide GTK DLL's? Heck, if anything, it (AFAIK) couldn't hurt to
try.

Or... it could simply be that there's more to it than the single dll
you've been putting in the app dir, like I said, possibly a set of
registry entries, or more likely, a couple dlls (or anyway one more than
you've been doing) that need to be handled.  As I mentioned, GTK+ has
three components, so it's likely it has three, possibly more, dlls.

GTK+ has the same requirements & number of libraries as under linux.  It
is possible to have more than one version of gtk installed.  First, the
only version that I know works with pan is at
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html .  Since you're not
compiling you just need the runtime files for glib, gtk+, atk, pango,
iconv, gettext and probably zlib, libpng, and libjpeg.  If the pan
installer creates a directory structure like

pan/
..bin/
..shared/
..lib/

then you can just unzip those files into pan/ at which point pan should
work.  Otherwise you would need to add gtk/bin to your path before
running pan.  I don't run gaim but I would expect it to work with this
version of gtk+ as well.  Hope this helps.