pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: What is "Score"

From: Lenny Nero
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: What is "Score"
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:09:21 +0100

Duncan  said:

> BNR3 is (they say) almost exactly the same, except the database is
> different, more stable so it doesn't need deleted, but also somewhat
> slower.  What "slower" means in actual use, I really can't say, but
> apparently, it's /enough/ slower, that on a 4 Mbps pipe, connecting to 3
> or more servers, some prefer BNR2 and just delete the database file for
> it periodically (between half and three quarter gig, as I said).

What slower means is the sqLite db has not been fully optimised (room for
great improvement) so opening a very big group can take some time (more so
with -test1). There is no downloading speed difference I can max all of
the pipes and lease lines I have access to without any problem, but I
often find users who dont understand the settings can cause themselves
problems by doing things that cause it to 'look' like the downloads are
slow, but in effect every server is being checked/asked first before
getting the part, or getting overview downloads with no dupe percentage,
thus the server has to send one overview then look for the next
free/wanted and then sending it this takes time and so 'looks' like
slowdown, but is nothing to do with the program, just the setup.

The same when asking for overviews from many servers at once, this is
silly as the sqLite db is very course-grained, (see sqLite FAQ 7) so the
db has to be locked while inputting data from one source so the others
have to wait with 'db locked', if the page file is set to use lots of your
available memory and for the speed of the servers this can be overcome
very well, but I have found it best to get overs from no more than 2
servers at once, not a problem as I only have one overview server and 14
body servers. There is no reason to keep getting the same data from every
server.

I keep saying to ppl that I have my BNR3 running as fast as 2 ever did,
and there can still be a lot more work done to speed up the db side :) I
just feel no need as yet.

L.

--
Want to help to keep the best free usenet servers running ?
http://www.readfreenews.com