pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: External Editor not communicating with Pan Editor

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: External Editor not communicating with Pan Editor
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:00:54 -0700

Peter posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sat, 26 Nov 2005 12:25:41 -0500:

> Well, to each his own. I thought making if clauses would make it simpler.
> You know, if this happens, this is the result... Oh well.

Maybe it's just me, but it just wasn't parsing, as I said.  <g>

> I too use Gentoo, but not with KDE. That should not matter though.
> Thanks for your tip on kwrite which helped steer me in the right
> direction. Now I will look at what gvim is doing.

Glad to be of help, even tho that particular help was inadvertent! <g>

>> Please consider using a real sig delimiter (dash dash space on its own
>> line, just two dashes, don't forget the space)
>
> Actually, I did not know this! I hard coded ---- in my sig file. Pan
> added the dash dash space above it. I removed it thinking I don't need
> two sig delimiters. My bad.

Learn something new every day... eh?  If you notice (and you have the
prefs set up to color it differently), your sig should be different
colored now (in the reader, not the composer), because PAN sees what it is
and acts accordingly.

Of course, every once in awhile someone messes up and PAN marks more as
sig than really /is/ sig.  I believe PAN will recognize just --, without
the space, as a sig as well, due to that being the default emitted for
years by MSOE, and that's sometimes used as a logical separation marker,
not a sig delimiter. If they don't have it or a real sig delimiter later
in the text, PAN will see that as the last one and mark everything under
it as sig.

Anyway, glad to see it wasn't PAN doing something strange, but gvim.
There's gotta be a reason it was doing what it was doing.  If you figure
it out, be sure and post back, as I'd sure like to know what it was!