pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: External Editor not communicating with Pan Editor

From: Peter
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: External Editor not communicating with Pan Editor
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:13:09 -0500

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:00:54 -0700, Duncan wrote:

snip...

> Anyway, glad to see it wasn't PAN doing something strange, but gvim.
> There's gotta be a reason it was doing what it was doing.  If you figure
> it out, be sure and post back, as I'd sure like to know what it was!

I just got this reply from the vim newsgroup. The problem was
explained very well by Marvin Renich:

"The problem is that gvim is forking and exiting from the original
process, so pan thinks gvim is done immediately, reads in the unchanged
temporary file, and deletes it.  Then, you get control in gvim, but it
is too late for pan.

Use "gvim -f %t".  See :help -f."

Using the above in the preferences works like a charm. You would not
believe when I tell you that this has bothered me for almost two years. I
just could NOT figure it out!

HTH
--
Do not reply to this email address. It is a spam trap and not monitored.
If you wish to contact me, please use pete4abw at comcast dot net.