pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pan window is too wide

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pan window is too wide
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 22:22:35 +0000 (UTC)

Thufir <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 08 Sep
2006 22:20:47 +0100:

> Yes, I'm running at 800x600.  Now I know the problem, at least.  I tested
> the alt-F10 tip on another window, yes that does maximize the window.
> However, same problem, the pan window is too wide for the screen
> resolution.
>
> Can I get pan to work at my resolution?

Well, yes and no.  Pan "working" should be independent of screen
resolution, but at 800x600, some windows at minimum designed size will be
bigger than your screen, so you'll only see part of them at once and will
have to move them around in ordered to see the entire window.

800x600 resolution hasn't been considered generally usable for some time.
Is your system (or your eyes) old enough it can't do better, or is it
possible to increase your screen resolution?  Are you running a desktop
or a laptop?  Obviously, if you can increase your screen resolution even to
960x720 or better yet 1024x768, that would eliminate the issue.  It may
simply be that the install didn't correctly detect your hardware and set
up a ridiculously limited max resolution, probably using the wrong xorg
driver as well.  You may wish to talk to Beartooth (a regular in this
group), who ran into similar problems with a Fedora Core install maybe a
year ago, as I recall.  I don't remember what he did to fix it, but pan
had been working just fine but after an upgrade, he was only getting
800x600 and having problems with pan as a result.  He did eventually get
is regular resolutions back however, I remember that.