pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pan window is too wide

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pan window is too wide
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 04:40:49 +0000 (UTC)

Thufir <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below,
on  Sat, 09 Sep 2006 03:39:02 +0100:

> Ok, fixed the resolution, so pan now looks alot better.  Thanks for the
> help, guys.
>
> Seriously, though, why does pan require that I set my resolution to a
> specified threshold?

Just because that's the number of buttons and the like that it has, I
suppose.

BTW, new-pan (now 0.111) has an option to turn off the toolbar.  I've  not
tried it, but it's possible with toolbar toggled off that new-pan can work
with a smaller window.  Actually just tried it.  Even with the toolbar on,
it'll shrink to ~650 px wide at least with my gtk font and widget scheme
(and toggling off the toolbar doesn't seem to make a difference, it's not
obvious what's holding it at ~650). Additional buttons go under a
down-arrow to the right of the available space. However, it appears it
breaks off at a section barrier. Maybe pan 0.14.x has all the buttons in
the same section, so there's no way to break it up.  Or maybe it breaking
in smaller pieces is a feature of a new gtk, and the gtk version you have
doesn't do it.

It could also be the gtk widget and font theme.  If your theme as 22 px
square icons in the toolbar, it will of course take more room than if the
icons/buttons are 16 px, but less than if they're 32 px.  Font size also
plays a part, of course.

Hmm... just tried 0.14.2.91, and here, it'll shrink to ~780 px wide, so it
too should fit in an 800 px wide screen.  However, the toolbar does /not/
split off and put some of the buttons under the down-arrow like new-pan
does.  It's all one piece and is evidently the reason old-pan won't shrink
below ~780 here, and they are both running on the same gtk, so obviously
it's not a feature of that (unless the issue is compile-time, since I
haven't recompiled old-pan against my current gtk, thus maybe it doesn't
know the feature exists?).

That it was wider than 800 px there is almost certainly due to your gtk
scheme, then.  Try a scheme with a smaller toolbar icon size, maybe a
smaller font size as well, and pan should be able to get smaller to match.
Again, 0.14.x seems to shrink to the width of the icons on the toolbar and
no further, so that's likely the critical setting for you as well.

Anyway, as I said, very few modern desktops run well at less than 1024 px
width in any case, nor are many set for less than that, so pan's
assumption isn't entirely out of reason.  There's even a lot of web sites
that simply don't look or work right at less than 1024 px width, a bit
frustrating here at 1600 width, when I could put two side-by-side with no
overlap if they worked right @ 800 width.  That was one nice thing about
running 2048 width, most of the time I /could/ run two windows of whatever
side-by-side.  I'd probably still be running it of the dot-pitch on these
monitors was a bit better.  However, the dot-pitch is setup such that
1600x1200 is "best" resolution, beyond that and things get blurry so even
enlarging fonts to the same size they are blurrier, so 1600x1200 per
monitor is the best choice.