pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request: Bandwidth Throttling

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature Request: Bandwidth Throttling
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:11:36 -0500

On Sep 18, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Brian Pack wrote:

So maybe the limit is a good thing. Although I'd be happier with a limit of 5
or 6. :)

Is likely your ISP's newserver limits bandwidth by the connection. Try dropping the connection count to 2 in pan as a quick and simple bandwidth limit experiment. I've seen 50k bytes/sec to 120k bytes/sec per connection with some news servers.

Both FreeBSD and MacOS X include ipfw as a firewall option. Within ipfw one may use dummynet for traffic shaping, including bandwidth limiting.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden