pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How's 0.112 working for you?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How's 0.112 working for you?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 22:38:33 +0000 (UTC)

jef_e <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 16 Sep 2006
15:36:50 -0400:

> Initially discussion was about .newsrc, however, preferences.xml also
> doesn't get saved. Saving that at edit time shouldn't be a performance
> problem, should it? If the newsrc is a performance issue, I'd settle for
> at least prefs getting saved :)

That I don't quite understand.  You set prefs once and then for the most
part forget about them.  The ones that you change frequently, like say
sort order or view filter status, well, since they change frequently, at
least here, I'm used to quitting in one state and deciding I want a
different one when I restart, so changing them on start isn't an issue.
Because the main prefs shouldn't be changing that often, it's easy enough
to just change them, quit pan, open pan, and not worry about it again.

OTOH, newsrc, tracking the posts read and those not,  THAT's the big
problem here.  Pan crashes at the wrong time, and it's hundreds of posts
to go thru in the text groups or thousands in the binary groups, trying to
figure out whether they were supposed to be marked read or not, or in the
binary groups, deleted or kept for further processing.

Thus, I don't see what the big deal is on saving prefs, but read message
tracking is a HUGE problem.