pan-users

[Pan-users] Klibido and Pan (Was: Get new Headers?)

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] Klibido and Pan (Was: Get new Headers?)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:20:28 -0500

Duncan wrote:

BTW, how's klibido doing lately and how does pan speed and memory usage
compare?  I was running klibido for awhile before new-pan came around, but
haven't used it in awhile as I had other stuff than bunni-news to do, then
new-pan got good enough I didn't have to worry about it.  Charles has
asked me (if it's still significantly better performing, then he knows
there should be some more tricks to find to bring pan into shape.

I played with klibido a little bit this week.  I like it and
found much worth stealing. =)  I particularly liked the 'parts'
column in the header window, that the task window showed
completed tasks, and how you could see information about
each part of a multipart.

klibido has a speed/memory advantage over Pan 0.115, though
the advantage is much, much smaller than it was a week ago. =)
From what I can tell it's because klibido keeps most of its
data stored in a berkeley database file, which has tradeoffs.
We've kicked that Idea around for Pan before, and maybe that's
something for the future (though I've had such horrible luck with
Berkeley's stability that I'd rather use sqlite...)

On the other hand klibido is a grabber, so it doesn't have anything
you'd want for text newsgroups -- threading, charsets, quoting,
scorefiles, GNKSA, etc.  That's not a bad thing, but a difference
in focus from Pan, which tries to be very good in both worlds.

Also, I like their complete/incomplete multipart icons. ;)

cheers,
Charles