pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Mutlipart posts?

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Mutlipart posts?
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 21:27:24 -0500

On Oct 1, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Douglas Bollinger wrote:

If some of the files are incomplete, it would display

 +foobar.rar (89/93)

Expanding the "thread" would show the individual files.

Hmmm, that's rather cool! As you have described it, threaded binary sets would intergrate very well into Pan's already established user interface.

Am still most familiar with the way 0.14 behaved. Once old pan thought it had a complete set of parts for a multi-part posting (say for a single bigfile-part123.rar) it was fused into a single "header" which could not be split into its components in the header pane. One could "Save As..." and select "save text" to write the individual components to disk, but that was it.

If what is being proposed is to treat that "fused" header as a thread which can be unfolded to view/download/delete its contents separately, then I third the recommendation. Some of the recent duplicate problems might have been manually reconciled if one could open the bundle to delete components separately.

My news server is fast and cheap, but pretty crumby. Often lists the headers for all of the components, but come time for download doesn't have everything it said it had. This caused 0.14 to barf and not save anything. If one selected the option to leave failed downloads in the task list, the downloaded components stayed in the local cache. Found I could bring another news server online, queue the same multipart on the new server, and 0.14 would resume where it left off with the first. Otherwise I had to "save text" and use an external yydecode to assemble as best it could, then let par2 do its thing. If I could have deleted the header which lacked a body, pan could have run to completion, and once again let par2 fix the file. This method did work on some which were missing headers as well as having headers for bodies which did not exist.

New pan seems to handle thing similar to what I did manually in 0.14 with primary and backup/alternate servers. When the first fails it tries the backup for the one missing component. Am less clear about how it handles "get new headers" as it uses both if available. Seems if I delete headers, bring the secondary online, get new headers, it rediscovers the deleted headers.

Installed klibido-0.2.5 (from the FreeBSD ports collection) after hearing about it here. Had no luck doing anything as I couldn't figure out how to tell it to bring a news server online. Showed the server at the bottom of the window, as offline/disconnected (forgot its exact terminology). So in summary, it looks nice but isn't much good if *I* can't figure out the GUI.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden