pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Mutlipart posts?

From: Jack Cuyler
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Mutlipart posts?
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 03:43:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:27:24 -0500, David Kelly wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Douglas Bollinger wrote:
>
>>> If some of the files are incomplete, it would display
>>>
>>>  +foobar.rar (89/93)
>>>
>>> Expanding the "thread" would show the individual files.
>>
>> Hmmm, that's rather cool!  As you have described it, threaded
>> binary sets
>> would intergrate very well into Pan's already established user
>> interface.
>
> Am still most familiar with the way 0.14 behaved. Once old pan
> thought it had a complete set of parts for a multi-part posting (say
> for a single bigfile-part123.rar) it was fused into a single "header"
> which could not be split into its components in the header pane. One
> could "Save As..." and select "save text" to write the individual
> components to disk, but that was it.
>
> If what is being proposed is to treat that "fused" header as a thread
> which can be unfolded to view/download/delete its contents
> separately, then I third the recommendation. Some of the recent
> duplicate problems might have been manually reconciled if one could
> open the bundle to delete components separately.

Although that would also be handy, it's not exactly what i was proposing.
It was taking the "fusing" idea a step further.  What I should have used
in the example above would be something like this.  Pan currently displays:

bigfile-part001.rar
bigfile-part002.rar
bigfile-part003.rar
all the way up to
bigfile-part123.rar

It would be neat if it could recognize groups of subjects with similar
names and "thread" them together, like so:

+bigfile-part (123/123)

with the + representing the "expand this thread" icon.  It would save a
lot of scrolling through binary groups.

Bug 358907 if anyone cares to second.

--
Cheers,
Jack

I WILL NOT SELL MY KIDNEY ON eBAY
I WILL NOT SELL MY KIDNEY ON eBAY
I WILL NOT SELL MY KIDNEY ON eBAY
I WILL NOT SELL MY KIDNEY ON eBAY

        Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode BABF07