pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: is gmane eating some of my posts?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: is gmane eating some of my posts?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:24:23 +0000 (UTC)

Thufir <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:41:57
+0000:

> my posts to gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails from pan seem to dissapear.  I
> don't get an error message in my e-mail.  Posts through google groups
> work fine.  Posts via pan to gmane use the gmail account, of course.
>
> posts to gmane.test and gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user (obviously) work
> fine.  posts to usenet through my isp's work fine.  yes, i'm selecting
> the correct server from the drop down list in the "from" field.
>
> Prior to moving on the first, everything went through fine.  after
> moving, everything *except* this one group seems to work fine.
>
> I've not changed any network settings on the pc since the move and it's
> not like I'm banned from the ruby e-mail list.  It's almost like gmane
> isn't putting the posts through wheras they used to.  I have old e-mails
> from gmane authorizing posting to g.c.l.r.rails and nothing since then
> contradicting that.
>
> what's going on?  gmane? pan?  google?  the list?

I'd say it's the list, since if it were gmane or pan, you'd have problems
with other groups/lists.  However, it could be any of a number of things
with the list.

1) You specifically mention using the gmail account thru gmane.  You do
/not/ specifically confirm that it was that gmail address you subscribed
to that list with.  Remember, posting authorization thru gmane generally
requires authorization at two totally independent places, the gmane
confirm for that list in ordered for gmane to forward it, and the list
subscription itself, so the list takes the post when it gets it.

2) Perhaps the list changed addresses or something and gmane didn't
change with it.  If gmane is forwarding to the wrong list address...

3) Spam control #1, the list could be filtering based on ISP IP
netblock.  This could have been in place for awhile, but only since you
moved are you getting an IP in the filtered netblock.  (Sometimes gmane
does similar.  I've had it happen to me, due to someone else at my ISP
spamming them, obviously.  However, then you can't even download the
lists/groups thru gmane news interface, tho you can still read via the
web interface.  If that happens, you can post a request via the web
interface to gmane.discuss to see if he can narrow the blocked netblock
or something, but that's not what's happening here anyway, since you can
still download and post thru gmane in general.)

4) Spam control #2, the list may be filtering on gmail accounts.  Do you
see other users still posting to that list with gmail accounts?

5) Spam control #3, maybe the list is filtering gmane now?  Same here, do
you see others still posting thru gmane to that list?

6) Spam control #4, maybe it's a combination of the above, only posts
thru gmane from your current netblock are blocked, say.  Obviously, in
this case, you'd still see other posts from gmane (or from gmail, if it's
in the combo) making it.

7) Maybe the list simply screwed up and lost your address (or someone
unsubscribed for you, without your knowledge).  Can you post to the list
address from your gmail account directly (so not thru gmane)?  If that
account can't post at all, try verifying that you are still subscribed
(there's usually instructions in the headers for mailing the bot to get
help, as a list of commands it can take).

Anyway, you may wish to subscribe to gmane.discuss if you aren't already
(I do for awhile every so often, but not constantly), and see what they
think.  Of course, check your address status with the (problem) list bot
first, just in case.  There's also usually a human list admin address you
can contact for help as well.  One way or another, you should be able to
verify with both gmane and the list whether the address you are trying to
post with is authorized to do so, in both places.