pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Import from Old Version

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Import from Old Version
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 01:46:32 +0000 (UTC)

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED
<address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 20 Jul
2007 17:05:31 -0400:

> I just installed pan 0.131 on a new laptop.  My previous version is
> 0.14.2.91 .  The first difference I noticed is the new directory name
> .pan2 .  Then I saw that the configuration format is different.  Is
> there any way to import data the old version into the new version?  This
> would include all configuration information, including servers and
> newsgroups, and the contents of messages saved in folders.

Some of the old info can be imported, but not all of it.

* You should be able to symlink the old cache and have it "just work", if
you had a large cache (not worth it for the default 10 MB cache), but
before you do, set the new cache size (it must be set by hand, editing
preferences.xml).

* The score file format is similar, with the exception that the new
scorefile format is stricter to slrn's format.  Specifically, if you were
using regexes for your newsgroup expressions, you'll have to change that
to * wildcard format.  See http://www.slrn.org/docs/score.txt for
details.  Here, I took the opportunity to clean up my scorefile in
accordance with the rules at that link, making over a hundred scoring
rules into just 6 or so, in two sections.  Once you've fixed that if
necessary, you can use the same scorefile.

* old pan could export to standard newsrc format, new-pan uses it by
default.  So if you still have old-pan around, you can tell it to export
to newsrc, then replace the appropriate files in new-pan.  Note that
newsrc is single-server, however, so you'll need to export for each
server, and make sure you get the right newsrc in the right server slot
(newsrc-X, where X is the server number) for new pan.

Other than that, pretty much everything has changed.  You must
reconfigure, and download overviews over again, as the formats for those
files are different.

If you use multiple servers or large binary groups, however, it's very
worth it. =8^)