pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Import from Old Version

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Import from Old Version
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:43:01 +0000 (UTC)

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED
<address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 21 Jul
2007 14:55:37 -0400:

> Can I use the old 'folders' directory?

No, not directly, anyway.  Old-pan formerly stored messages in folders by
sort of faking that it was a news server, only read from a local folder
instead of remotely.  The pan rewrite has no code corresponding to the
old-pan code that did that faking, so no.

In terms of what's actually on the disk, the raw messages themselves are
in the same format as the cache is, raw format directly as downloaded, in
data/messages/folders/foldername.  You can of course save those elsewhere
if desired, but I know of no way to get them back into new-pan without a
lot of manual work.

There are also the data/folders_unsub.dat and folders_unsub.idx files.
I'm not sure if these are actually used by old-pan or simply written
since the same code that handles real servers handles these, and writes
the fake data out as if it was real.

To actually import these into new-pan, as with importing any arbitrary
messages, you have a couple options.  The easiest is likely to be running
a local news server, inn or leafnode or some such, and feeding the raw
post files to it, then letting pan grab them from there.

Alternatively, one could create a script that created the new-format
files and essentially faked pan into believing this was info it had
previously downloaded off a server that really isn't there, much as old
pan did in its own code.  That's likely to be rather more difficult to do
than it's worth, however.  I'm guessing it'd be far easier to feed the
messages to a real news server (locally) and then let pan download them
from the real server running on localhost as if it was downloading off
the net.  Of course, that depends on how easy it is to feed such messages
to the news server itself.

Finally, it might be possible to construct (using python or perl code and
building on preexisting networking and news function libraries) a server
that actually took these messages directly, and fed them out a (local)
network port that pan could connect to.

Luckily for me, I discerned the potential dead-end problem with pan's
faked server idea long before I ever heard of the rewrite.  Actually,
IIRC I had pan eat some of my saved messages at one point several years
ago and decided that wasn't the best way to go.  Anyway, text messages
that I wanted to keep, I mailed to myself.  Binaries, I saved the
binaries to disk and deleted the messages they came from.  So all that
was in folders for me was sent messages.  That got lost, but new-pan
doesn't save sent messages anyway (only as it redownloads them from the
server as it would any other post), so oh, well.  The stuff I really
wanted to save as I said, I had mailed to myself.  It's still in kmail,
in standard mbox and maildir format folders there.  Those are standard
format, so if I switch mailers or whatever, there are converters out
there, if the new mailer doesn't read the standard formats on its own.