pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Preview "corrupted"

From: roderick
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Preview "corrupted"
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:57:40 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> writes:

> By sheer coincidence, gentoo-stable just upgraded gtk+ to 2.12.1 *today*.
> Until now I had the problem only on my gentoo-unstable box.  The 'bug' was
> introduced in gtk+ 2.11.x and still exists in 2.12.x, so now the 'bug' will
> hit everyone who uses a linux distro with gtk+ > 2.11.x.  Maybe a *real*
> programmer will now take the time to fix it!  :o)
>
> I've been trying almost every day to figure out whether the 'bug' lies in
> the pan code or the gdk-pixbuf code -- but I'm not there yet -- quite.
>
> Does your Sabayonlinux give you the ability to compile your own packages
> from source code, like gentoo?  (That *is* the whole point of using
> gentoo, after all.) If yes, here is how to apply the workaround patch
> to your own personal build of pan:
>
> # ebuild /usr/portage/net-nntp/pan/pan-0.132.ebuild unpack
> This will fetch the pan source tarball and unpack it for you:
>
> # cd /var/tmp/portage/net-nntp/pan-0.132/work
>
> # patch -p0 < /tmp/load-pixbuf-in-1024-byte-chunks.diff
> patching file pan-0.132/pan/gui/body-pane.cc  [Of course, you need to
> substitute the actual /path/name of your downloaded patch file.]
>
> # ebuild /usr/portage/net-nntp/pan/pan-0.132-ebuild compile install qmerge
>
> NOTES:
>
> The steps above will overwrite your existing pan files, so you should
> "emerge -C pan" *before* doing all of this!  If you have trouble you can
> reinstall the default pan (even though it doesn't work right any more).
>
> The new pan (pan2) is considerably different (and better) so you *will*
> need to learn the differences before you will be happy, but it will be
> worth your trouble, I promise.
>
> If any/all of the above leaves you mystified, just yell.  There are several
> regulars here who can answer your questions.

Thnx *VERY* much for your reply...Am learning Perl at work and trying to play
with python at home so I am not totally in the dark, but I hope the regulars
will bear with my inexperience.

Regarding the (above) 'patch' step...I take it this...

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=96917&action=view

...Is the actual .diff patching file, meaning every line as is? Never done any
'compiling' myself on my Sabayonlinux box but is willing to give it a try once I
understand what I am about to do. I cannot see the distro preventing the user
from doing his own ebuild.