pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Preview "corrupted"

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Preview "corrupted"
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:35:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:55:34 +0000, roderick wrote:

> So to translate the patch into English, all the patch does is to run the
> diff command,

Technically, 'patch' does the mirror image of 'diff'.  'diff' generates
a patch and 'patch' applies a patch.

> the (@@ -815,8 +815,15 @@) means go to line 815, in the
> targeted file remove any line that are marked by (-) indicated in the
> patch file, then insert all (+) lines as indicated in the patch file.
> Correct?

Correct.

> If so, then if I know what I was doing with how gdk_pixbuf
> works, I should be able to just edit the body-pane.cc file itself
> instead of writing the actual patch?

Sure, if the patch is very simple I often just edit the file by hand
instead of using 'patch'.

> The only issue with the latest Sabayonlinux install is with my new build
> that I have the Intel E6550 and the Intel DG33BU matx board. Initially
> it would not install at all. Then I looked at the CPU itself and it had
> EMT64 capability. On a hunch I installed the Sabayonlinux 86_64 version
> and I am using the new box today. Do not know why the EMT64 feature
> prevented the regular x86 version to work...

I don't know if you've ever compiled your own custom kernel, but these
problems with hardware support can often be solved by building a new
kernel with the correct hardware drivers compiled in.  If the hardware
is very recent, the kernel may not have the correct drivers yet --
sometimes it takes a long time to reverse engineer them.  NVidea is
the notorious worst for keeping their hardware interfaces secret.