pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Using subject filters in Pan

From: Graham
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Using subject filters in Pan
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:00:39 +0000

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 02:33:26 +0100
CSV4ME2 <address@hidden> wrote:

> No it is not if you use the right libraries!
> Personally I'm using Slackware 12 and no problems whatsoever.
> Pan is a good app.
[snipped]

I agree Pan is a good app, but recent versions (see v. 0.131) have a
problem with the Preview pane (to see graphics).  In this, half of the
Preview is wiped out.

Developers say that the cause of this is a change in the gtk2 codebase
(I think!) so its not Pan related as such.  Newsreaders not using gtk2
are immune from this, but may have other undesirable side effects.

Take KNode for example, part of the KDE pim.  I shows the graphics OK
for the most part but every now and again it comes up with a message to
the effect that the encoding is not supported yet.

Pan is a superb newsreader if you do not stray into the area of binary
graphics (at the moment).

--

Graham Todd