pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Daniel Rahn
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:51:13 +0200

On Sunday 30 March 2008 14:31:15 Beso wrote:
> other distros have usually precompiled binaries, and thus with known
> glib version, so once the problem is identified and known i don't
> think that should be difficult for them to prebuild the right stuff.
> also, their installers usually just installs the stuff and don't need
> to compile it. so this issue doesn't have a real impact on the normal
> users of the other distros, while it does on gentoo ones.

Well, in all distributions maintenance of packages consumes a lot of
time. And believe me, every packager is pretty happy if the need to
maintain version specific patches does not arise.

Every distribution has a way to apply patches based on the version.
That's not the point. The point here is that it's easier if you do not
need to apply version specific patches.

And I still think a user should be able to just fetch sources upstream,
configure and compile them.

That's only possible if the distribution submits any patches upstream.

In my case I want to be able to build one package across as many
versions of openSUSE as possible. And as we are running a buildservice
that allows to build packages for other distributions (both, RPM and
DEB based) I don't really want to maintain a patch selection
architecture that can easily be more complicated than PAN's sourcecode
itself.

> maybe the simplest thing is to search for the includes and if not
> found use the pan defaults. this shouldn't be very difficult and
> would release the problem with the use of some #ifdefs or #ifndefs.

In Charles' very own word: Submit a patch.

-Daniel