pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: how to see quoted text

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: how to see quoted text
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:29:45 +0000 (UTC)

Steven D'Aprano <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 17 Jul
2008 14:46:49 +1000:

> (1) be easier to turn on/off (say, by clicking on the quoted text block,
> but beware of interfering with selecting text);

Some might say it's too easy now... thus the problem! =8^)

Honestly, what can be easier than hitting "q"?  It's so easy folks do it
accidentally, which as I said is the problem.  A two-key sequence, alt-q
(ctrl-q being commonly used for quit, I've remapped my accels here so
can't say for sure if pan sets it up that way by default without checking
the accels.txt file) or something, would probably be better.

Ideally, however, there'd be some sort of indicator, maybe a toolbar
button or the like, that depressed when it was on.  Burying the action
multi-levels deep in the menu does help keep too many things from
appearing on each menu (preventing that according to the experts bad
thing), but makes it obscure enough it's hard to find, particularly when
you just hit q accidentally, and don't know what you did or how to undo
it.

As already suggested, if one could select that action (and see the check
as well, when toggled on) from the body pane context menu, it'd make it
MUCH better.  That combined with making it a two-key sequence would
pretty much solve the problem.

But I do like a couple of your "smarter" ideas as well.  If it muted all
but a single line of the first level quotes (perhaps changing its quote
indicator to >quoted> or some such, helping out the folks who can't see
and use screen readers, as was the case with one guy that I know used it,
otherwise he had trouble distinguishing quote from original text), that's
the , that would be even more useful.