pan-users

[Pan-users] freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: David Shochat
Subject: [Pan-users] freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 16:39:03 -0700

I don't know when this started happening, but it was during the 0.132 era, so it has to be something that changed on my system. This is a fully-updated Ubuntu 8.04 system. I have 1Gb of memory. When getting new headers in a large binary group, (either as a result of entering, or after invoking Groups->Get Headers...), the progress indicator goes normally for a while (10 sec. or so) and then it stops. At this point, top says that pan is at 98-100% CPU and the GUI is unresponsive. That goes on for as long as 20 minutes, after which it (usually) gets unstuck by itself. All other functionality is completely normal. It is only the "Get new headers" phase that has this behavior. Another interesting fact is that I also can run pan on my MacBook (MacOS X 10.5.4) -- 0.132 -- haven't yet built 0.133 for the Mac. Anyway, running on the Mac I do not have this problem at all. Only on my Linux machine. One experiment I tried was to run with PAN_HOME set to a directory on a USB hard disk with FAT32 format (I was wondering if it had something to do with my hard disk). This made no difference; the behavior was exactly the same. Going to 0.133 did not change anything. I'm currently out of ideas, so I'm asking for suggestions.
-- David