pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:48:34 -0500

On Aug 1, 2008, at 7:07 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

On 08/01/2008 Travis wrote:
My guess is not enough memory.

If 1 Gig isn't enough memory, why am I, with only 256 Meg not having any issues?

IMO the single most greatest thing about the current generation of pan has been the huge increase in memory efficiency. Some large newsgroups used to push pan's memory image over 1.5GB. The FreeBSD default maximum process size is 512MB and had to be increased because a lot of newsgroups exceeded that limit.

Learned in the old pan to "delete" messages I wasn't interested in so as to make room for new incoming.

With the current pan I have left the FreeBSD maximum process size at 512MB, no longer "delete" messages, only mark them as read, and no longer have any memory issues.

I say "delete" because its only removed from pan's cache, its not sending a delete/kill request to the news server.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden