pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: Greg Lee
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 03:01:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:39:03 -0700, David Shochat wrote:

> When getting new
> headers in a large binary group, (either as a result of entering, or
> after invoking Groups->Get Headers...), the progress indicator goes
> normally for a while (10 sec. or so) and then it stops. At this point,
> top says that pan is at 98-100% CPU and the GUI is unresponsive. That
> goes on for as long as 20 minutes, after which it (usually) gets unstuck
> by itself.

That happens to me.  I think it's a bug.  When loading a large number
of headers, about 3/4 of the way through, the GUI loses it, and I just
have to wait until the headers from that group are loaded.  Pan will not
respond until the headers are all loaded.  I have to wait around 3 minutes,
at most (not 20), but I have 3G of ram, which probably helps. It doesn't
freeze my whole system -- I can go to another window and do something
else -- it just affects Pan.

-Greg
--
Greg