pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 07:25:12 -0500

On Aug 2, 2008, at 2:21 AM, Duncan wrote:

David Kelly <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on Fri,
01 Aug 2008 23:48:25 -0500:

Expect Linux has similar but FreeBSD has per-process limits on memory. Default is 512MB. So unless one has a number of processes drawing 512MB
having 3GB doesn't do a single application much good. However the OS
will use the extra for disk caching.

On Linux this will be set by the distribution (which on the BSDs, FreeBSD
is effectively its own distribution, so I guess it's sort of the same
there). The command to check and set various per-process resource limits is "ulimit". This is a shell built-in, at least for bash, which has way
more options than the relatively bare POSIX standard.

In a bash shell, type "help ulimit" for a listing of the options. There
are "soft" limits which can be reset if necessary, and "hard" limits
which cannot be raised except from a privileged process (root or the
like) but may be lowered. In particular and among others, -a reports all current limits, -m is the maximum physical memory a program may use, and
-v is the maximum virtual memory it is allowed to use.

Yes, that is within the shell but the shell comes after the kernel. No matter that the shell reports ulimit as unlimited, the FreeBSD kernel limits what the shell can get. In FreeBSD per-user limits and customization is configured in /etc/login.conf, Looking at FreeBSD 7 I find the kernel limits are set differently than in 5 when I had to tweak for pan. In a quick search I don't see any limit controls beyond those in login.conf.

Most Linux users launch Pan via bash? Not directly from KDE or Gnome or some other desktop? Or that their desktop environment's resources are set/limited/controlled from a parent shell process?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden