pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: Greg Lee
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 19:35:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:39:03 -0700, David Shochat wrote:

> ... When getting new
> headers in a large binary group, (either as a result of entering, or
> after invoking Groups->Get Headers...), the progress indicator goes
> normally for a while (10 sec. or so) and then it stops. At this point,
> top says that pan is at 98-100% CPU and the GUI is unresponsive. ...

I went back to read this posting again, and I noticed what you
said about the progress indicator stopping.  Mine doesn't stop.
It slows way up, but it doesn't stop.

This operation of getting headers, and I suppose sorting them,
apparently requires a lot of computation.  The newsreader I used
before Pan, rn, just bogged down completely when there were much
over 10,000 new headers.  I could give it several days, and rn
still couldn't finish.  Eventually, it would use all my ram and
paralyze my system.  That's why I switched to Pan.  So there
is nothing extraordinary about Pan getting really really busy and
taking a long time loading large numbers of headers.  Compared to
rn it does a great job.  But it shouldn't block the GUI.

I don't think Pan is hitting any ram limit on my system.  ulimit -a
gives max memory size and virtual memory as unlimited, and my GKrellm
monitor says my memory is only half used.

-Greg
--
Greg