pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 10:55:05 -0400

On Aug 2, 2008, at 3:21 AM, Duncan wrote:

From the debug as mentioned in a different post, the last action pan
reports is "trying to add articles to tree", indicating it's doing this threading. Something's apparently going wrong there. However, it could
be with the threading itself, or with related processes, the string
management I mentioned earlier, etc.  (I suspect it's NOT the scoring
now, as presumably that would be shown in the debug if it was.)

Now I'm wondering about gtk2 versions. I can now see that my Ubuntu system has version 2.12.9 while my Mac has 2.10.14. It has been discussed before here how changes to gtk2 can break pan (remember the inline image business, for example). I'm thinking of either updating the Mac to a later gtk2 or installing, via source, an older gtk2 on the Linux machine and see if the former causes the problem to occur on the Mac or if the latter cures it on Linux. But before doing that, is anyone /not/ seeing this problem who has 2.12 or to put it another way, what gtk2 versions do people who do not have this problem have? The easiest way I've found to determine the version is to go into .../ include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkversion.h. (... would be /opt/local on my Mac or /usr on my Linux system). That has, for example, on my Mac:
#define GTK_MAJOR_VERSION                               (2)
#define GTK_MINOR_VERSION                               (10)
#define GTK_MICRO_VERSION                               (14)
Most people will need to have the -dev package to have this include file. I can also get the version number from my libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0, but that involves dpkg commands (but there are equivalent rpm commands).
-- David