pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 11:34:08 -0700

On 08/01/2008 Greg Lee wrote:
That happens to me.  I think it's a bug.  When loading a large number
of headers, about 3/4 of the way through, the GUI loses it, and I just
have to wait until the headers from that group are loaded. Pan will not respond until the headers are all loaded.

In that case, it sounds like there's either a bug in the sorting/loading routines or an algorythm that doesn't scale properly. As an example, a simple bubble sort will be fine for twenty or thirty headers, the most that I see except in unusual circumstances, or if I've been away for several days, but far too slow for several hundred headers and completely bogged down for a group with well over a thousand. (N.B.: when I first installed Pan and had it get all the recent headers for my favorite group, it brought down almost 4,000, and had them sorted in under thirty seconds.)