pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 20:31:11 -0700

On Aug 1, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Duncan wrote:

That could be a couple things.

First, make sure you're comparing peaches to peaches (I started to use
apples, as traditional, but when one /is/ an Apple... =8^) .  Are you
comparing the same group on both machines? Suppose there's a message (or a regular poster, thus a continuing set of messages) with a bad header or something that pan's tripping on. If you aren't trying to fetch the same
group in the same general period from the same server (so the set of
messages is the same), the dataset is different and the test not accurate.

Good point. It's the same server, same group. But to make it a really controlled experiment, I should start both with clean profiles, enter the same group, and tell both to load the same number of days worth. Maybe do the --debug on both too, and see what's different.

If you are indeed testing the same dataset, then in addition to pan, it
could well be a problem with one of the libraries, say the i18n
(internationalization) stuff in (IIRC) pango. The libraries are likely
different versions and even if the same, the patches applied by the
distribution may be different.

As I said in responding to walt, I suspect gtk2.0 (tree widget). But both the Mac and the Linux system look like they have the same version (2.10). At least, in both cases, .../lib/gtk-2.0 has a subdirectory named 2.10.0.

What I suspect is happening is that, if it's not just the size of the
group and the number of headers that need processed (which it won't be if you did the correct peaches to peaches comparison, as I mentioned), pan's getting stuck in a loop somewhere. This could well be due to a malformed header, but it could be a normal one with i18n rules misapplied, too. If
it's a malformed header, it could be only on that server or a group of
servers that got the message from the same propagation, or it could have
been as posted, so that way everywhere.

I can get it to happen in any large group.

The way to trace it would be, most likely, to run pan using a debugger,

Yes, it may come to that. But probably not until I've tried reinstalling gtk2 or maybe the whole distro.

Thanks for your detailed response.
-- David