pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Server list getting lost. Possible cause discovered.

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Server list getting lost. Possible cause discovered.
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 08:27:55 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 02 Aug 2008 15:15:50
-0700:

> I was reading news earlier today and when I closed Pan I found a second
> copy of it running behind, with the same list of unread headers.
> Naturally, I closed it.  The next time I opened Pan, it wanted me to
> fill in the server info again.
>
> This time I was ready.  I closed Pan, deleted servers.xml and copied my
> backup copy over it.  Reopening Pan, everything was back, although the
> 20 messages I'd already read were back again.  I don't know for sure if
> this is what caused it before, but I did want to mention it.

Nice to know I'm not the only one that accidentally runs two copies from
time to time.  (I do run multiple instances, using the PAN_HOME variable
to point to entirely different setups, sometimes, but that's quite
different than two of the same setup.)

Yes, a second running instance can screw pan up.  AFAIK what it does is
keep the settings from the last closed version, thus losing any changes
you made to the first-closed version.

Since I figured that out, I pay attention and if I do start a second copy
I usually realize it immediately, and shut it down, then shut down the
first one right away so it saves the session as I was working with it.  I
can then open it back up and continue working, in just /one/ session this
time, without losing data.

Hopefully that's all there was to your losing the server settings, as at
least we know what it was then, and don't have another very nasty and
irritating bug floating around to worry about.