pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: OT: English [was Re: Re: freeze, high CPU getting new he

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: OT: English [was Re: Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers]
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 01:08:14 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:35:26
-0700:

> You are right, however, that it's wrong, a sentence to end, a
> preposition with.

I never groked this particular part (referring to the subthread) of
English (or apparently, enough English at all to do well in it), but
that particular sentence above reminds me of reading direct interlinear
Greek/English (Greek work order) translations.  The word order may be
somewhat unusual, but it still makes sense, and indeed, tends to place
the emphasis (to a native English speaker) on a different aspect of the
sentence, which can often be quite insightful in itself.

OTOH, Hebrew/English interlinear (Hebrew word order), in addition to
being right to left, is foreign enough word ordering that unlike Greek/
English, I often have trouble even parsing it, at least without pausing
to think about it a bit.  Part of it may be due to reading the line right
to left, but still reading the English words left to right, but that
doesn't account for all of it.

IOW, I can read and parse Greek word order at real-time reading speed, as
the phrases may be in a bit different order, thus the turn of emphasis I
often find insightful in itself, but the words within the phrase are
close enough to native English word order that it still makes sense.
Hebrew, OTOH, scrambles up the word order to the point I often have to
pause and think a bit before I can make sense of it, even after allowing
for right to left or "mixed" reading direction.

In general however, while I only speak and read English to any large
extent so can't claim to be multilingual or have the benefits thereof, I
was exposed to foreign languages and foreign word order even in English
(due to ESL (English second language) speakers) early enough (from 4
1/2), that I find I have far less problems parsing sometimes strange ESL
or direct translation word ordering (or accents) than those around me
that have mostly heard only native English speakers (or even English and
a single other language, I've been exposed to many) their entire life.  I
wasn't aware of the degree to which this was the case until Chariots of
Fire (tho that was mostly accents), a few years ago.  I found I followed
the film far better than most around me, who had a real difficult time
due mainly to the accents.  After that, I began noticing it.

My three years younger sister got lucky, tho.  Apparently the exposure to
foreign languages that I got from 4 1/2 that lead to my better
understanding of accents and foreign word ordering, happened for her at
1 1/2, while she was still in the language-critical development period,
and she picked up much more than me.  Today, she speaks several languages
with ease and reads others, and can pick them up far better than either
my folks or I ever could.  We're convinced that her brain is able to hear
and differentiate sounds that ours simply don't catch, because we weren't
exposed to those particular sounds at the right age, and thus our brains
basically ignore them and we can't "hear" them.