pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March 11
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:57:01 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 13 Aug
2008 22:46:49 +0100:

> So I don't depend on what is or isn't still on the server.
>
> What I don't understand is where all the earlier headers/bodies that I
> downloaded have gone to - i.e. those earlier than 4/2008, although - as
> I said - there is at last one newsgroup that is still showing copies of
> postings in 2007.
>
> Does (old) Pan delete them from my PC, or does it just stop showing
> them after a certain number, or what?

OK, that makes a bit more sense, now.  Old-pan (unlike new-pan, which
works differently in this area among others) keeps what's on your
computer in sync with what's on the server.  If the server expires the
messages, next time you download messages for that group, old-pan will
delete anything that's not still on the server.

I expect that's what's happened, given what you've said.  You can try
getting all headers (not just new headers) and see.  If it brings back
the old ones, it may have been something else.  If it doesn't, it's
because they're no longer on the server to fetch, and pan expired them
when they expired on the server.

With old-pan, the only way to keep that from happening was to copy/move
the messages to a different folder.

As I said, new-pan works differently.  You can set it to never expire
messages, and it won't (as long as the cache is set big enough, anyway;
there's no cache setting in new-pan's GUI, but you can still set multiple
gigs by editing the config file, and I know it works as I do it).  I'm
sure you have your reasons for staying with old-pan, working rules being
one thing new-pan doesn't have, but this could just be the reason you're
looking for to switch to new-pan. =:^)