pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before Ma

From: Maurice
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March 11
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:17:19 +0100

On Thursday 14 August 2008 08:57:01 Duncan wrote:

> Old-pan keeps what's on your
> computer in sync with what's on the server.  If the server expires the
> messages, next time you download messages for that group, old-pan will
> delete anything that's not still on the server.

   AAAGGGHHHHH!

So I've lost all the postings that I selective;y kept for future reference.
(But at least I've still got the postings that I made.)

> You can try getting all headers (not just new headers) and see.

 I used a different server and d/l 'All Headers' (5810).
  They only go back as far as 2/08, so I guess you are right - old Pan has
deleted all I had on my PC earlier than that date.
 (What on earth was the point of that (or, why could I not have specified that
was not to be done?)?)

Many thanks for diagnosing the cause, Duncan - much appreciated.

I didn't look at new Pan when it first appeared because I was then on dial-up,
which didn't seem to be what new Pan was designed for.

Until now I simply liked the way old Pan worked, and saw no reason to change.
Now I shall take more notice of how you guys are progressing with getting the
new version up to scratch and will probably take the plunge one day soon.

--
/\/\aurice