pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March 11
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 20:47:47 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 17 Aug
2008 18:05:43 +0100:

> On Sunday 17 August 2008 17:22:22 Duncan wrote:
>
>> it won't check
>> backup servers until it has failed to find a message on the main
>> servers), and AFAIK there's no in-pan way of disabling a server, only
>> to set multiple levels of backup.
>
>   I don't understand the 'backup' facility you mention.
>
>   Is it a way of saying 'If you can't get a response from server X then
>   try server Y', for instance?

Yes, no, sort of. =8^)

As with a number of settings in new-pan, the GUI has this as a simplified
setting, but should you be advanced enough to deal with more, it's
exposed in the config file (servers.xml in this case) so you can do so.

In the GUI it's Server Rank, with two settings, primary and fallback.  In
servers.xml, the setting is a number, 1-x, where 1 is primary, 2 is
fallback, and there can be fallbacks to the fallbacks as ranks 3-x as
well if desired.

When downloading the posts themselves (aka the bodies), if a group exists
on servers at multiple ranks, it will try all the ones on one rank before
trying those on another rank.  Thus, it won't use post bandwidth on the
fallback servers if the post exists on the primary.

However, from reports (I've never personally tried the fallback
functionality here) regardless of the rank, pan still tries an initial
connection and downloads overviews/headers from all servers, thus
allowing it to figure out what's on which server and in the case of
multiple ranks, whether it has to fallback because it's not on the
earlier ranked servers.

Thus, fallback servers ARE contacted for headers/overviews even if they
aren't used for actual post download, and there's no direct way to turn
that off.

As I mentioned, however, that can be worked around by using a starter
script similar to what I do, only where I set PAN_HOME in the script so
it points pan at the appropriate settings and starts that instance (with
scripts named pan.bin, pan.test, and pan.text, for my three instances),
you'd have yours copy either (say) primary-servers.xml or backup-
servers.xml to servers.xml, so pan started the appropriate one.  If
you're not up on your shell scripting, let me know and I can post sample
scripts for you.  Here, I have an entry for two of the three scripts in
my Kmenu as well, with a khotkeys shortcut to pan.text and pan.bin (if I
want to test something, I start that one from the open dialog), but of
course how you start it after you setup the scriptlets is up to you and
depends to a large degree on your desktop environment of choice.