pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before Ma

From: Maurice
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March 11
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:23:15 +0100

On Sunday 17 August 2008 04:35:08 Duncan wrote:

>... new-pan (unlike old-pan) doesn't save off your
> own posts before they are sent.  If they don't show up on the server,
> that therefore means you don't have a copy of them.

  OIC. Well, as long as I can get (new) Pan to hang on to messages, then I
shall have a copy of mine in there, and I would not need a 'spare' copy.

> ...  if you set do-not-expire, all downloaded messages
> including your own... don't expire.  You then delete messages if you
> like, and keep messages if you like....

  That's what I prefer.

> there's nothing stopping you from doing so, other than disk space, as long
> as you have no-expire set, and a  sufficiently large cache set.

   Does (new) Pan warn if the cache is approaching full?

> [1]  One of the problems with old-pan turned out to be that for your own
> messages, you /always/ saw the copy of the message pan saved as you sent
> it.  Old-pan simply didn't download your messages, since it already had a
> copy.

  OIC. Hadn't realised that..

> Hope that clarifies things.

 Absolutely! Many thanks indeed.

> Perhaps with said clarification, new-pan will fill your needs after all.

    It would seem so, and I will give it another try.

    But first I need to check on its handling of multiple servers.  Does new
Pan still fetch automatically from all servers defined (for subscribed
newsgroups)?
   That would be a problem for me, as although I routinely fetch from 3
servers, I have two or three others in reserve for temporary use on the
occasions when a regular server is down, and I would not want fetches from
the reserve servers to be done routinely...
--
/\/\aurice