pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: OT: GNU/Linux Was: clearing headers?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: OT: GNU/Linux Was: clearing headers?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:16:48 +0000 (UTC)

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 10 Oct 2008
09:52:20 +0000:

> В Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:30:06 +0000, Duncan написа:
>
>> Requiring, so-called ethically or legally, a specific name extension,
>> "GNU/"whatever, would be unfree.
>
> The GNU project does not demand anything of that kind; this is an
> educational campaign.

Actually, it /is/ demanding it, ethically but not legally, thus the
educational campaign.  My point was that it doesn't have to be legally
required to be wrong, if they're doing the moral/ethical equivalent,
which is what this is, from my perspective.  If it's unfree with SugarCRM
(and with the xfree86 license change that lead to the xorg split), it's
unfree with GNU.  The same principle applies in all three cases,
regardless of whether it's a legal requirement or whether it's simply a
claim of an ethical/moral requirement, which if not met is a wrong that
an attempt must be made to right.

So why is the argument made that SugarCRM and xfree86 doing it is wrong,
but GNU doing it is somehow not only right, but that not complying is
wrong?