pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: GNU/Linux Was: clearing headers?

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: OT: GNU/Linux Was: clearing headers?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:14:56 -0700

On 10/10/2008 Rob wrote:
If GNU changed the GPL to add "and you must refer to your product as GNU/Productname", you would be right. But you're comparing two controversial license changes, which definitely have a legal component, to what's essentially a branding campaign in GNU's case. "Don't forget that what you call Linux is mostly GNU."

I think that what we have here is an attempt to close the barn door after the horse is gone. Yes, it would be nice if everybody gave GNU the credit that it deserves, but alas, most Linux users have never heard of GNU. Possibly, if they had made a big enough fuss back at the beginning, things would be different, but now, it's too late, just like it's too late to start protecting the term Kleenex as a trademark; it's become the common name for the product and the company that invented the term is just SOL.

--
Joe Zeff
If you can't play with words, what good are they?