pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: OT: GNU/Linux Was: clearing headers?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: OT: GNU/Linux Was: clearing headers?
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:08:48 +0000 (UTC)

Greg Lee <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:29:22
+0000:

> So, let me see if I understand your principle.  True freedom includes
> the right not to be criticized for discourtesy or for failure to give
> credit where credit is due.  Do I have that right?  Even if there is an
> ethical requirement, this must not be /claimed/, for fear of infringing
> the freedom of those not meeting the requirement by calling attention to
> their failure.

But there's not an ethical requirement.  That's what I've been saying.
There's an accepted requirement to acknowledge where individual software
packages come from and that's done.  There's no requirement, legal or
ethical, that a particular name is used, either collectively or for
individual packages.

IOW, so it's called Linux and that happens to be the name of a supposedly
more minor component than all of what GNU contributed.  Big deal.  It
could be called "xunil" or "ung" or "linux" or "gnu" or "cows jump over
the moon" for all it matters.  Neither GNU nor SugarCRM can ethically
force a particular name or sub-name, or it's no longer free software.
Requiring that the sources be made available to the user so they can make
modifications as they find useful is one thing.  Requiring, either
ethically or legally, that they use a particular name, is quite something
else, and that makes it unfree, whether that requirement is legal or just
claimed ethical.  The claim to a particular name or subname simply isn't
legit, nor can it be made so and maintain the freedom of the software at
issue.  Requiring you /not/ (negative name requirement due to
reservation) to use a particular /reserved/ name if there are changes
(basically trademark enforcement) is allowed, but requiring that a
particular name or name component be included (positive name
requirement), simply doesn't work.