pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:31:26 -0500

On 2009-08-27 13:59, Rob wrote:
On Thursday 27 August 2009 04:54 am, Ron Johnson wrote:
I'd bet, though, that even with eclectic music tastes you have
certain listening patters that could be satisfied by having multiple
1,600 song (the number of 5MB songs that can fit in 1000MB) playlists.

Well, first of all, I tend to listen to one genre at a time and switch playlists based on that. But I don't just listen to the same kind of music for days at a time, and I can understand why you wouldn't realize that, admitting as you have that you consider music something you've outgrown.

Just Rock and Roll have I outgrown.

[snip]

Couple more years later, and I'll be able to put all the music (or maybe I'll rerip it all into FLAC), plus every file I've ever downloaded through Pan, every email and chat log and every document I've created in the last 17 years in my pocket for around 300 bucks. Might not have any way to use most of them since my otherwise very capable phone has no memory card slot, but it'll sure make backups easier.

That it would.

You don't find that a good value proposition; who really needs all their data to be with them at all times, you'd ask. I find it impossible to ignore; who wouldn't want a copy of all their data to be with them at all times for about one car payment?

Because "The Man" can more easily seize all your digital "stuff" that way.

If it's at home, then at least they need a search warrant.

Then again, maybe someone will have invented some new kind of file that fills terabyte drives more easily than video at that point.

It'll be uber-def video...

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.