pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:52:23 -0400

On Tuesday 25 August 2009 02:43 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> However did we survive in the eras of CDs, cassette tapes, 8-track
> tapes, transistor radios, or before?

We also survived in the days before email, yet here you are.

> > Or as I've mentioned, if you for instance get talking to someone about
> > a band from two decades ago that you have a half dozen albums of...
> > sitting at home on the computer!
> That just doesn't happen too often.

I recommend music to people on a pretty regular basis.  Of course, I don't
carry my Archos around much because it's failing, but since about a month
ago, if I want to badly enough, I can ssh home from my phone and send a
file to someone.  It's a lot more awkward than just playing the song,
though, so I need to come up with some kind of UPnP over ssh tunnel, or
just roll my own player on the Pre.

> (For me, though, R&R is about youth, which I left far behind long
> ago.  I'm just not music-obsessed anymore (and I think that people
> constantly walking around with buds stuck in their ears is
> destructive to society).

For me it's never been about rock and roll, except for that one band I was
in 20+ years ago and this one guy I jam with once in a while.  But luckily
the other 90% of music doesn't require you to throw the horns.  And earbuds
are awful.  I made the mistake of mastering a demo on earbuds once, and 7
years later I still haven't been able to fix it.

I understand about outgrowing things; in my early 20s I worked in a big
corporate environment, drank a lot of coffee and read the Wall Street
Journal before and after work for pleasure before going home to install
Linux off of 41 floppies or compile a kernel or something.  For the last 13
years, though, all that excitement is gone.

Well, I still do Linux installs, but now it's Ubuntu so a chimp could do
it, and somewhere out there, one probably does.

Rob