pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists

From: Rob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:43:04 -0400

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 04:46 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Same with CPUs: an AMD64x2 4000+ and nvidia 7300 meet all my needs.
>   As far as RAM, I went to 1GB about 5 years ago, and it was Good
> Enough.  When I got a new mobo a couple of years ago, RAM was so
> cheap, I just had to go with 8GB, and I can't see myself needing
> more for quite a number of years.

I'm sitting here typing this on a single-core 1.6GHz Pentium IV with a gig
and a half of RAM and a 12" screen running Ubuntu.  This fall I'm thinking
of upgrading to an 11.6" screen, 2GHz Atom and two whole gigs of RAM.  My
"server" is an eMachines desktop that was $300 at Wal-mart 3 years ago,
with a bunch of usb drives hanging off of it.

Believe me, I know all about "good enough".

On the other hand, I'm also guessing the pro-audio interface I have in the
other room for recording my instruments for my own songs is a little
pricier and better-sounding than what most people have.  I don't *need* to
write songs or record instruments in a way that you can actually hear them.
But for me, it would suck not to.

Rob