pan-users

[Pan-users] The "no-break-space" problem, aka "blank" posts, that should

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] The "no-break-space" problem, aka "blank" posts, that shouldn't be
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 21:37:37 +0000 (UTC)

Does anybody else get frustrated with "blank" posts, that shouldn't be?

There's probably a bug open on this, tho I've not looked.  It seems pan
(or the gtk+ widget it uses to display posts, or the mimelib it uses to
decode them) doesn't cope properly with the Latin-1 (aka
charset="iso-8859-1) and Unicode no-break-space character, hex A0,
presented in MIME/quoted-printable posts in "raw" form using the = A 0
escape sequence (three chars, spaced out here, to avoid triggering the
problem with this post, but normally together).

When pan encounters this character, it simply fails to display the entire
post, such that it looks blank. (If you have headers toggled on and it's
in the main body, you do see the headers.  I don't know what it would do
with posts with multiple text parts, which it usually displays, if only
one had this char, whether it'd display all but that one, or none of
them.)

I'm seeing this frustratingly frequently on gmane's list2news groups in
particular.  FWIW, looking at the headers of the one I have in front of
me ATM, the original client was:

Of course, that's converted by gmane.  However, the post appears to be
adhering to standards (quoted-printable using the appropriate = escape,
and correct iso-8859-1 according to the table at wikipedia under that
standard), so it's not a rogue client or bad conversion.

I don't know if there are other characters that cause pan to "blank", or
not, but this one's sufficiently common, at least in the groups I browse,
that it needs taken care of, preferably before the next release.

It seems to me that, even if it's a bug in the display widget, as I
suspect is quite possible, it should be /relatively/ easy to code around
it, by replacing that character, for display only, with a standard space
char, ASCII hex 20.

KHaley?  Anyone else with the coding skills necessary?  Would any of you
like to take a look?

Here are some of the headers (missing ones denoted with a blank line) of
the post with the issue that I'm looking at ATM.  It's available on
nntp://news.gmane.org , for anyone who wishes to take a look at it.  Note
that there's a URL to the web interface as the bottom header.  Of course,
that's not going to provide the raw post as necessary to debug the issue,
but it's what I'm using ATM to actually read the message.  Replying is
unfortunately a different matter, as tho I can of course select/copy and
paste, I then have to go thru and manually add the quote indicators,
which can be a pain.  So I usually just don't bother, and let someone
else have at the post.