pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: The "no-break-space" problem, aka "blank" posts, that sh

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: The "no-break-space" problem, aka "blank" posts, that shouldn't be
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 00:48:30 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:29:08 -0800 as excerpted:

> Here's what I have:
>
> $git branch
>    master
> * testing
>
> $git checkout master
> Switched to branch 'master'
>
> $git branch
> * master
>    testing
>
> $git checkout testing
> Switched to branch 'testing'

OK, I think I know what's wrong.  The git eclass used by the script
probably just pulls the one branch, master.  That'd be why git
checkout<tab> didn't list testing as an auto-complete possibility, only
tags.

Do you run git kernels also?  I am, and have been regularly doing git
bisects for... several kernels now, when I see issues.  But you're right,
it's still largely black magic here, too.  The last bug, in 2.6.32, I
never /did/ find.  When I come back from hibernate, sometimes I lose a
drive -- one or more of /dev/sd[abcd] (I have four) disappears and comes
back as e or later.  That's troublesome indeed for kernel/md RAID!  The
problem seems to be a corruption, possibly due to a race condition, of
either the new disk ID string or the one retained over the suspend.  They
don't compare equal (one is the disk model number, one may be mostly
blanks with a couple weird characters, or most but not all of the model
number), so the kernel assumes I switched hardware and kicks it out,
bringing it back as if it's a new drive.  But sometimes it recovers
before actually kicking it out (I get the mismatch in the log, but
apparently it tries again and succeeds), and sometimes it doesn't happen
at all.

The problem, however, is bisecting it, as if it goes bad (I get the model
number mismatch in the log, regardless of whether it actually kicks the
disk or not), I know it, but if it doesn't on any particular hibernate, I
don't know if it's good or simply didn't trigger that time.

Complicating the issue, the trigger seems to be X related, as I don't
recall ever seeing it if I wasn't running X in the background (I do
switch to a text console to hibernate, tho).  And I just upgraded my
radeon card to a radeon hd4650, running git xf86-video-ati (no stable
with 3D support yet to run), and critical support for it was added to
2.6.32 as well.  I was /hoping/ the hardware change from the old card
(radeon 9200 or 9250, never remember) would kill the bug, as it didn't
trigger for awhile, but that was after I upgraded hardware but before I
upgraded X driver so was still running in 2D only mode.  I've only done
one hibernate since I got the new driver running, but the bug is back!

So now I gotta go back and report that on the bug again (I was planning
on closing it NEEDMOREINFO or some such since I hadn't seen it after I'd
upgraded hardware), and see if there's any possible way they can create
some logging code I could run.  Unlike a lot of hibernate bugs, I /do/
return from hibernate, so in theory some sort of logging code might
help.  Because I've tried bisecting the stupid thing three times now,
spending more than two whole days on it, and between a stupid mistake on
my part on the first run, apparent false negatives on the second, and
never really completing the third as I was going much slower and upgraded
hardware, then didn't see it for awhile, the thing just will /not/ bisect!

I /did/ try to test revert the outcome of the second run, even tho it was
in a staging driver and I wasn't running anything staging at all, but git
failed the revert with some error about too many files (even tho the
commit touched only three, I guess it was too far beyond that or
something), that was WAYYY beyond my git level to decipher, let alone fix.

OTOH, several other bugs over the last several kernels were fixed due to
my reporting, bisecting, etc. That's a nice feeling, especially for a non-
C coder!  =:^)  Git bisect is great, when it works!

Anyway, looks like I gotta change a couple parameters in the ebuild, fed
to the git eclass, to get it to fetch that testing branch.  I did create
nice little scripts that let me know what changed since the last time I
did my various git pulls (the gentoo x11 and kde overlays are git based,
there's pan, now the xf86-video-ati driver, and the kernel, tho I manage
the kernel with my own set of scripts, independent of gentoo's kernel
packages).  I do understand git well enough to do that manually, I think,
and the eclass is documented reasonably well, so it shouldn't be a big
deal, just a matter of getting to it...