pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: The "no-break-space" problem, aka "blank" posts, that sh

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: The "no-break-space" problem, aka "blank" posts, that shouldn't be
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 20:44:06 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:24:35 +0000 as excerpted:

> OTOH, if anyone could explain this diagram to me, I'd be grateful:
>
> http://github.com/lostcoder/pan2/network
>
> Well, there's a blog that tries to explain the graph, so I'll go read
> that before I tear my hair out.

Explain a blank page (konqueoror), or a page with a nice big square with
a no-script icon on it (icecat)?  Sure.  Hovering over the icon says it's
a flash object.  Since flash is proprietary, I don't have it installed,
thus the big blank boxes.

I could of course try gnash or swfdec, but while it was awhile ago I
tried gnash last, I never /did/ get it to do much besides show a more or
less featureless box (and no-script does that), and while I had better
luck with swfdec, the compile order between it and icecat/firefox and
apparently a couple other dependencies had to be /just/ right, or it
wouldn't work either.  It would thus work (well) part of the time, and
not work at all, the rest of the time, until I happened to get exactly
the correct compile and install order right, again.  Unfortunately, the
usual revdep-rebuild tool used to spot and auto-rebuild changed ABI
dependencies didn't seem to work here, so eventually I just got tired of
it and unmerged it, too.

Now if they'd use proper HTML5 instead of the proprietary stuff, icecat
could present that just fine...