pan-users

[Pan-users] [Gentoo] custom pan-9999 ebuild Was: Articles Pan Can't Read

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] [Gentoo] custom pan-9999 ebuild Was: Articles Pan Can't Read
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:22:36 +0000 (UTC)

Nicolas Richard posted on Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:39:42 +0200 as excerpted:

> Le 10/08/2011 13:25, Mark S Bilk a écrit :
>> Nico, thanks!  Am I correct in thinking that you downloaded the 0.135
>> source files from git.gnome.org and built the executable on your
>> machine?
>
> Almost. I 'git pull'ed the repository and built the executable on my
> machine through the use of portage system (which is the package manager)
> and a custom .ebuild file (= package specification for portage). In
> particular there are have been changes in some .po files since the
> official 0.135 release. This should not matter, I guess. I must also
> mention that I apply the following patch :
> -      const bool is_smallish = lines  <= 5000;
> +      const bool is_smallish = lines  <= 10000;
> to pan/gui/header-pane.cc (because I read some groups where many
> pictures are between 5k and 10k lines). This should not matter either, I
> hope.
>

>> Which Linux distro are you running?  And is it 32 or 64 bit?
>
> This is Gentoo, 32 bit.

FWIW, I know there are several Gentoo users here.  You are obviously one,
as am I.

In my personal overlay I maintain a pan-9999 ebuild that, at least
currently, has USE flags to either official gnome git repo, to either
lostcoder's (USE=khaley) or imhotep82's (USE=hmueller) github repo.  With
lostcoder's repo, another flag (USE=khtestbranch) can be used to select
that instead of master.

But the other day I was looking at another github pan repo (I forgot
whose, but I posted here remarking about all the branches he had), and
thinking about all those branches, and quickly concluded that my current
method wasn't going to scale so well, now that so many people are getting
interested in pan again and there's all these repos and branches to
choose from.

So now I'm thinking about reworking the ebuild to support setting
EGIT_REPO_URI and EGIT_BRANCH (the standard git2.eclass vars) directly in
the environment, if desired (naturally with the gnome official repo,
master branch, as the default, as in the pan-9999.ebuild in the main
tree).  Presumably, one would then set it in /etc/portage/env/net-nntp/
pan-9999, which as gentoo users should know, changes the environment for
that specific package (and version) only, thus allowing it to be changed
without having to redigest the build and without having to make every
possibility into a USE flag.

Anyone else interested and/or have a similar ebuild already in their own
overlay so we could compare notes/styles/etc?

I've toyed with the idea of setting up a public overlay somewhere
(presumably either on overlays.gentoo or at github) in which I could make
such ebuilds available.  I don't usually have more than a handful, but do
occasionally have a few misc. ebuilds, when I decide to upgrade gcc
before it's unmasked to ~arch, for instance, and I end up with a number
of patched ebuilds, usually simply taking patches out of bugzilla that
the package maintainer hasn't yet applied.  FWIW, the only other ebuild I
have in my overlay ATM is one for a plasmoid off of kdelook, yasp-
scripted, yet-another-systemmonitor-plasmoid-scripted, which I was
depending on until I switched to superkaramba, recently.

I'd probably include a subdir duplicating my /etc/portage/env/ settings
and /etc/portage/patches/ (I have some interesting ones, mostly for kde
packages) for various packages too, for anyone that was interested, tho
of course they'd not apply unless people actually linked/copied them into
their own /etc/portage/*.

I also have a whole system of portage wrappers that I've toyed with the
idea of packaging up (ea* for the emerge --ask set, ep* for emerge --
pretend, so ept for emerge --pretend --tree, eaw for emerge --ask (--
update --deep --newuse) @world, ear for to fit the pattern, tho it
actually runs revdep-rebuild --ask, etc.), that if I ever did, would
likely first appear publicly in my public overlay, if I had one.

So presumably of those interested in the ebuild, how many would also be
interested in the overlay?  Or should I just put the ebuild in the web-
space my ISP makes available, and post a notice here when I update it,
or ???

I know there's at least three gentoo users (you, me, and another guy that
helped me convert the pan-9999 ebuild from svn to git, at one point) that
follow this list/group to at least /some/ extent, but I don't know if
there's any more, and for all I know, the two of you either prefer your
own solution or want to stick with the official gnome git version, so I'd
not have anyone using it anyway, even if I did make it public.  And if
it's just one or two people, sticking it on my webpage and posting a note
here whenever I update it, would certainly be less hassle than learning
and continuing to keep updated all the stuff that goes with responsibly
publishing a public overlay.

Meanwhile, I've been putting off rebuilding pan again, until I at least
make those changes in my overlay's pan ebuild... so I can experiment
rather more freely with what repo and branches I want to use.