pan-users

[Pan-users] git-pan heads-up! Sigs

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] git-pan heads-up! Sigs
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:10:32 +0000 (UTC)

For those following pan via git build, at least the gnome testing branch
(formerly hmueller's repo)...

I'm not sure if it was the upgrade to a new gmime, or something in the
latest week or so of git commits, but...

I just had pan lose track of my signatures.  When I tried to post without
a sig the message sure looked odd!

I was able to go back into the posting profiles and reset them, and as
you can see, I have my sig back, but I /did/ have to go into posting
profiles and reset them (they switched back to blank, there).
Fortunately, I use text files, so all I had to do was set it back to text
file and point it at the right file, again.

So yeah, heads-up.  As I said, it may be because I just upgraded gmime,
but in case anyone else runs into it, just go to posting profiles and
reset them.

Meanwhile, it may well have /been/ pan changes, because there's been
quite a bit of change, recently.  pan now handles gpg signing/encryption/
verification, at least if built against the appropriate libs.  I have gpg
but don't use gnome and thus don't have gnome-keyring installed, so don't
expect I see the full featureset.  But I do see the brand new gpg-signed
icon for messages that have a signature.  I'm not sure I can verify it
since I'm not building against gnome-keyring, but I do see the icon.
=:^)  Also, I /think/ pan stores server account passwords encrypted now
too, but I don't have a server with a password set to verify, and even if
I did, I think pan uses gnome-keyring for that as well, so it'd probably
still be stored plain-text in servers.xml, here.

Of course the code's still new and a bit rough around the edges; a couple
days ago I pulled and couldn't build as the no-gnome-keyring build was
broken at the time; but the code's there and improving. =:^)