pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] git-pan heads-up! Sigs

From: Heinrich Müller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] git-pan heads-up! Sigs
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:45:23 +0000 (UTC)

Am Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:30:00 +0000 schrieb Duncan:

> Heinrich Müller posted on Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:09:59 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> Am Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:10:32 +0000 schrieb Duncan:
>
>>> I just had pan lose track of my signatures.  When I tried to post
>>> without a sig the message sure looked odd!
>>>
>>> I was able to go back into the posting profiles and reset them
>
>> Does the setting stay, now?
>
> It seems to.  I even just now saved-as-draft and restarted pan to be
> sure it didn't lose the setting with a restart, and all is fine.  It's
> as if the name of the setting in the file changed and it couldn't read
> the old setting, but as soon as the one under the new name was set,
> everything was fine.  (Or as I mentioned, perhaps it was the gmime slot
> update, from 2.4 to 2.6.  Not likely, but if you didn't change anything
> related to that code... but the changes related to gnome-keyring looked
> invasive enough and close enough in git... even if I don't claim to
> actually be able to read the code.)

Ok, good to hear.
I'll most likely do a branch with gmime 2.6 exchanging my code with
gmime's.
>>> Meanwhile, it may well have /been/ pan changes, because there's been
>>> quite a bit of change, recently.  pan now handles gpg
>>> signing/encryption/verification, at least if built against the
>>> appropriate libs.  I have gpg but don't use gnome and thus don't have
>>> gnome-keyring installed, so don't expect I see the full featureset.
>
>> gpg works without gnome-keyring. it uses a gtk dialog afaik.
>
> How does the verification work?  I see a lot of red ribbons, which I
> took to mean signed but unverified, because I don't have the pieces in
> place to do verification.  But it'd sure be nice to have it...

The verification works with gpgme functions. Too long to explain, but
basically all I do is look for gpg tags,extract the message text and then
verify. What's tricky is to veriy gpg-signed/attached messages.
> I tried clicking on the red ribbon, expecting maybe a dialog, and
> hovering, looking for a tooltip, but nothing with the hover and all the
> click did was collapse the header bar.
Yes, that's still a bug I have to inspect.

> ** Talking about which... it has always been a minor irritant of mine
> that clicking it when expanded collapses it but clicking it when
> collapsed doesn't expand it.  Seems to me that should be a simple enough
> fix?  TIA. =:^)
Yes, put on my to-do-list. ;) Will be in master, as it'll be a stable fix.