pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] git-pan heads-up! Sigs

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] git-pan heads-up! Sigs
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:30:00 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Müller posted on Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:09:59 +0000 as excerpted:

> Am Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:10:32 +0000 schrieb Duncan:

>> I just had pan lose track of my signatures.  When I tried to post
>> without a sig the message sure looked odd!
>>
>> I was able to go back into the posting profiles and reset them

> Does the setting stay, now?

It seems to.  I even just now saved-as-draft and restarted pan to be sure
it didn't lose the setting with a restart, and all is fine.  It's as if
the name of the setting in the file changed and it couldn't read the old
setting, but as soon as the one under the new name was set, everything
was fine.  (Or as I mentioned, perhaps it was the gmime slot update, from
2.4 to 2.6.  Not likely, but if you didn't change anything related to
that code... but the changes related to gnome-keyring looked invasive
enough and close enough in git... even if I don't claim to actually be
able to read the code.)

>> Meanwhile, it may well have /been/ pan changes, because there's been
>> quite a bit of change, recently.  pan now handles gpg
>> signing/encryption/verification, at least if built against the
>> appropriate libs.  I have gpg but don't use gnome and thus don't have
>> gnome-keyring installed, so don't expect I see the full featureset.

> gpg works without gnome-keyring. it uses a gtk dialog afaik.

How does the verification work?  I see a lot of red ribbons, which I took
to mean signed but unverified, because I don't have the pieces in place
to do verification.  But it'd sure be nice to have it...

I tried clicking on the red ribbon, expecting maybe a dialog, and
hovering, looking for a tooltip, but nothing with the hover and all the
click did was collapse the header bar.

** Talking about which... it has always been a minor irritant of mine
that clicking it when expanded collapses it but clicking it when
collapsed doesn't expand it.  Seems to me that should be a simple enough
fix?  TIA. =:^)

>> Also, I /think/ pan stores server account passwords encrypted now too,
>> but I don't have a server with a password set to verify, and even if I
>> did, I think pan uses gnome-keyring for that as well, so it'd probably
>> still be stored plain-text in servers.xml, here.

> without gnome-keyring it is plain-text, that's right.

Thanks for the confirmation... and (in view of the season) all the new
functionality/presents we've been getting to unwrap in pan, lately.  That
red signing ribbon even fits the season!  =:^)