pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New 0.138 version on Pan ppa

From: Bob
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New 0.138 version on Pan ppa
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 10:55:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 04:22:57 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Bob posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2012 00:28:24 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> Again, the PPA version of 0.138 does not have SSL installed.
>>
>> Came through as an upgrade to Mint 13 Maya, so I tried it.  All works
>> fine until time to get new headers.  Pan hangs on trying to connect.
>>
>> I removed it, and went back to debian sid unstable and reinstalled Pan
>> 0.137-1 via synaptic.   All is working again.
>
> Some more info would be nice.
>
> The big question, is the failing connect via SSL or normal NNTP?  Also,

Connect via SSL on port 563

> what port do you connect on and is it the normal one for that security
> mode (119 for normal nntp, 563 for SSL/TLS)?  If it's not too private,
> which provider?  And if SSL, did you try the always accept checkbox or
> not?

Always accept and providers are APN from Forte Inc. and gmane.org

> Also, you mentioned headers.  I don't suppose you tried refreshing the
> group list or possibly posting, did you?  IOW, was it /just/ getting
> headers, or was it any connection to that server?
>
> And do you have just one server or more than one, and if more than one,

two servers, Gmane and Forteinc.com
Both set as primary and both set to 563, always accept.

> was it affecting them all, or just the one?  Only certain groups, or
> all?  I don't suppose you tried a completely new group that you hadn't
> used before, did you?  (IOW, was it possibly local group-history
> related?)

It was an upgrade via Mint 13's update manager, and also I am running
the Mate DE.  I tried groups on both APN and gmane.  Same response,

Connecting  0/1  alt.os.linux.mint

then adding this group:

Connecting 0/2  gmane.comp.apps.pan.user

While doing this, the screen was frozen, except for the event log.  Event log
was totally blank.   Could move mouse,
but no response from pan.  I had to use force-quit to exit.

Since I am running this version of Pan(0.137-1) from Debian Sid unstable
on LMDE 201204, Mint 13 (Mate) and Mint 11;  I will redo the upgrade and
get more information

> Anything else you can think of that might help tracing the problem...

will post further when information is available.

bob